gnome-mount woes

Doug Goldstein cardoe at gentoo.org
Wed Apr 11 07:55:40 PDT 2007

Richard Hughes wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-04-11 at 14:29 +0200, Kay Sievers wrote:
>
>> ls -l .gconf/system/storage/volumes/
>>

> Cool, that does the trick, thanks.
>
> Any idea how to debug the problem that it's mounted by root, and that I
> (as a user) have no write privs? I'm not too hot on all the Mount and
> Volume interactions between HAL and gnome-mount.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Richard.

Not to hijack your thread or anything Richard. But some of the mounting
stuff irks me as well. I've noticed gnome-mount will mount it with group
read/write and other read. Doesn't seem like very secure permissions at
all. I thought the whole thing behind ConsoleKit was that we could
identify who was the user that plugged in the device and only allow them
to mount it. That's great but if I automount my USB drive and then allow
anyone else to access it. That defeats the whole purpose. gnome-mount by
default should only mount it with user permissions, not even group or other.