HAL+ConsoleKit+Dbus trouble

Doug Goldstein cardoe at gentoo.org
Wed Apr 11 08:00:14 PDT 2007

Kirill "REDbyte" Novikov wrote:
> Hi, everyone!
>
> I've installed and configured latest HAL and ConsoleKit, everything seems
> alright, exepts one thing - while I'm logged in as user (not root) I can't
> mount partitions and removable media in KDE media manager (system://media).
> Error message I'm getting looks like this:
>
> hal-storage-mount-fixed no <-- (action, result)
>
> And here is tail of HAL log:
>
> using action hal-storage-mount-fixed for uid 1001, system_bus_connection :1.4
> 19:07:55.346 [I] hald_dbus.c:4874: ************************
> 19:07:55.346 [I] hald_dbus.c:4875: Client to local_server was disconnected for
> 80e5780
> 19:07:55.346 [I] hald_dbus.c:4876: ************************
> 19:07:55.346 [I] hald_dbus.c:4915: ***************************
> 19:07:55.346 [I] hald_dbus.c:4916: ********* unregistered 80e5780
> 19:07:55.346 [I] hald_dbus.c:4917: ***************************
> 19:07:55.347 [I] device.c:1811: Removing locks from ':1.9'
> /usr/lib/hal/hal-storage-mount exited
> 19:07:55.353 [I] hald_dbus.c:3659: No more methods in queue
> 19:07:55.353 [I] hald_dbus.c:3722: failed
> with 'org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.PermissionDeniedByPolicy' 'hal-storage-mount-fixed
> no <-- (action, result)'
>
> I have allowed to mount media to all active and inactive users in
> PolicyKit/policy/hal-storage.policy, but result is the same. Have any ideas
> how to fix it?

Known issue when using ConsoleKit + HAL on KDE. KDM does not yet support
notifying ConsoleKit of an active session so this won't work. I believe
only RedHat rawhide and Gentoo hardmasked currently have this issue. If
you're a RedHat user,  I don't have a solution for you. If you're a
Gentoo user, just emerge HAL with USE="-pam" since that's what's
triggering the ConsoleKit use currently in the masked version. This is
all subject to change in the masked version without any notice.