gnome-mount woes

Artem Kachitchkine Artem.Kachitchkin at Sun.COM
Wed Apr 11 10:28:04 PDT 2007

> Anyway, one thing I want is HAL's Mount() to accept an option, say,
> "hal_put_in_per_user_private_dir", that will mount into /media/$USER
> (with /media/$USER being of mode 0700). Then gnome-mount should probably
> default to passing that option for all volumes it mounts. Patches
> welcome for that.

I've been thinking about some additions in this area, making automatic
mounting more customizable. Our experience so far has shown that "expert
users" are usually more finicky and need more control, like being able
to specify alternate mount root (e.g. $HOME/mnt), mount point
permissions, add mount options, lowercase the mount point name ("so it
doesn't scream at me" :). Basically adding some more gconf keys. I'll
try to put together a proposal soon and send it here and to utopia-list.

-Artem.