Python required?

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 08:05:17 PDT 2007

Currently, HAL's configure will bomb if Python isn't installed. From
what I can tell, though, Python is only used in the device-manager,
which is certainly optional. It seems to my eyes that the reason for
the failure is because the autoconf macro AM_PATH_PYTHON will error if
it doesn't find Python.

Is Python anywhere else in HAL? I realize everyone has Python on their
system, but it'd be nice to avoid an unnecessary dependency. It seems
that this would probably require that AM_PATH_PYTHON not be used, but
first I'd like to hear that Python is or isn't needed.

Thanks.

--
Dan