Python required?

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 10:34:25 PDT 2007

On 4/13/07, David Zeuthen <david at fubar.dk> wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-04-13 at 08:05 -0700, Dan Nicholson wrote:
> > Currently, HAL's configure will bomb if Python isn't installed. From
> > what I can tell, though, Python is only used in the device-manager,
> > which is certainly optional. It seems to my eyes that the reason for
> > the failure is because the autoconf macro AM_PATH_PYTHON will error if
> > it doesn't find Python.
>
> Python is not needed anymore, no. I think I already removed this from
> 'master' just after 0.5.9 branched.

Any chance it could be made optional in the 0.5.9 branch, or should I
just hack around it? To that effect, is it safe to avoid the Python
dep in 0.5.9 if the device-manager isn't being built? The real reason
I'm asking is because the developer of the Linuxfromscratch LiveCD
wants HAL on there but not Python since he doesn't use it anywhere
else. Is this possible?

--
Dan