Running fsck before mounting removable media

Danny Kukawka danny.kukawka at web.de
Sun Apr 22 06:14:37 PDT 2007

On Sonntag, 22. April 2007, kitts wrote:
> I use a USB hard drive to backup my system. Everyonce in a while i have to run
> fsck on its 2 partitions for reliability.
>
> Instead, i would like fsck to be run automatically everytime i plug it in. If
> the filesystem needs a check it will be done. I see no harm in running it by
> default on all mounts.

No, it isn't a good idea to run a fsck check on every plugin time. This is in the
most cases not needed and the most user don't like to get a fsck check every time
they plugin their USB harddisk or USB-stick, at least not if you have a big
disk and a journaling filesystem. If you always umount the partition correctly
there is no need to run always fsck.

Danny