Linux Sparc & Sun Disklabel Issue

Artem Kachitchkine Artem.Kachitchkin at Sun.COM
Thu Apr 26 11:43:46 PDT 2007

> I'm hoping some of our Sun guys can peek at this and confirm if it's an
> issue with HAL processing Sun disklabels.

I don't know much about how Linux represents partitioned disks, but looking at
probe-storage.c and probe-volume.c, HAL on Linux appears to rely on partutil. In
particular, part_get_scheme_name(). Looking at partutil.h:

/* Partition schemes understood by this library */
typedef enum {
         PART_TYPE_MSDOS           = 0,
         PART_TYPE_MSDOS_EXTENDED  = 1,
         PART_TYPE_APPLE           = 2,
         PART_TYPE_GPT             = 3
} PartitionScheme;

I'd say you want to add VTOC type here, some code to recognize it, and yet some
more code to probe-{storage,volume} (and keep in mind that on x86, VTOC can be
embedded in a DOS partition).

-Artem.