[hotkey-setup] Extra keyboard buttons

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 00:47:00 PDT 2007

On Sun, 2007-04-29 at 07:10 +0100, Paul Sladen wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Apr 2007, Richard Hughes wrote:
> > What about something like the attached FDI file? It's pretty hacked up
> > but shows the general principle I was thinking about.
>
> Would it be possible to use symbolic constants (KEY_*) for the destination
> mapping?  This probably saved me the most sanity; it is then immediately
> possible to see exactly what the desired outcome is and policy decsions are
> easy (changing which high Function key to borrow for $foo).

Yes, I thought about this, but then we have to do string -> number
conversion for essentially all the keys in input.h - not quick and not
cool to essentially duplicate all of input.h.

> Less important, but is a monolithic single file within a monolithic single
> package (HAL) the best place for this mapping?  There's a fair amount of
> churn within 'hotkey-setup' and 'acpi-support' as each new laptop gets
> added.

Ohh, no. The file was essentially a RFC - the idea is to put each vendor
in a separate file (like we do for laptop quirks and battery recall
data) in the hal-info package. The idea being that hal-info can be
released and sent as a small update frequently without breaking
anything, even in a stable LTS distro.

> Richard: there's some more DMI data for Thinkpads in Ubuntu's 'acpi-support'
> which may help with sub-matching the generations.

Sure, thanks. I just did that quick file for comments, and it probably
doesn't even validate ;-)

Thanks for the comments,

Richard.