suspend on Dell Latitude D-610 with ATI display

Mads Kiilerich mads at kiilerich.com
Thu Aug 9 13:27:54 PDT 2007

(I'm not on the list)

Frederic Crozat wrote, On 08/09/2007 01:46 PM:
> Richard, I'm not seeing any commit for this quirk ?
> Are more informations needed ?

Yes. Just after sending the report strange things started to happen. So
right now it doesn't work reliable for me.

It might be related to a kernel upgrade. Does anyone know where old
fedora updates can be found?

I'm quite sure that for some time it worked even without any hal info at
all!

BTW: What is the quirk.no_fb - I couldn't find any documentation of it?
Is it related to the kernel boot option nofb?

I feel quite lost and really don't know if it is a hal issue, a kernel
issue, or a X driver issue...

Le mercredi 18 juillet 2007 à 19:47 +0100, Richard Hughes a écrit :

>> EXCEPT that when I'm using an external screen and has the same output on
>> external and internal screen, then only the external screen comes back
>> up on resume. The internal screen is "light black". Have you seen
>> similar behavior and can you suggest a solution?
>>
> It could be the BIOS is detecting which display is connected at "boot" time - have you got the video mode selection to "auto" or "both" in the bios?

There is no such setting :-(

Also: Occasionally I have seen that there was nothing but vertical
stripes of digital noise on the external display after resume. Turning
the screen (!) off and on again seems to restore the picture. As if the
machine doesn't fully detect the external screen when resuming and thus
doesn't turn the output fully on...

> Yes, Dell suck for releasing two identical laptops with the same model numbers with different video hardware.
>
> In HAL from GIT we have system.hardware.primary_video.vendor - this can let you special case this. Thanks for helping us find a quirk.

I couldn't find out how to make such a speciel case - but right now it really doesn't matter...

/Mads