HAL support for remote controls

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 13:36:55 PDT 2007

Hi Richard,

same people, different subject ;-)
btw, I've never got news from you or Dave about NUT / UPSs !

2007/8/13, Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com>:
> On Sat, 2007-08-11 at 23:22 +0200, Arnaud Quette wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I've been thinking a bit more about adding support for remote controls in HAL.
> >
> > The obvious things that first come in mind are that:
> > - it will be through LIRC,
> > - it won't be used for events reporting, but only for device detection.
> > Event reporting will still be through the /dev/lircd socket or the
> > future uinput support.
>
> uinput seems most sane. INPUT is the standard (and becoming more so now
> all my acpi patches are getting merged) way to key keys to userspace and
> optionally remapping them.

I fully agree with you Richard.
btw, do you have some links for iald?
I've already heard about it, but never seen a project page or package!

what do you mean with the above "becoming more so now all my acpi patches..."?

> > <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?> <!-- -*- SGML -*- -->
> > <deviceinfo version="0.2">
> >  <device>
> >   <!-- ATI Wireless Remote Receiver, model no. 5000023600 -->
> >   <match key="info.bus" string="usb_device">
> >    <match key="usb_device.vendor_id" int="0x0bc7">
> >     <match key="usb_device.product_id" int="0x0004">
> >      <merge key="info.category" type="string">input</merge>
> >      <append key="info.capabilities" type="strlist">input</append>
> >      <append key="info.capabilities"
> > type="strlist">input.remote_control</append>
> >     </match>
> >    </match>
> >   </match>
> >  </device>
> > </deviceinfo>
>
> Very sane.

very basic, but thanks ;-)

> > Denis Gautherot, from the Ubuntu Media Center team, is currently
> > working on extracting, and assembling a complete list of USB IDs and
> > their matching info for all USB remotes.
> >
> > Once he has completed is task, we will generate a complete fdi, and
> > include it in the LIRC sources. Denis' work will also be useful to
> > make LIRC configless (still limited to USB devices)
>
> Woot! Cheers for doing this.

^_^

and thanks to Denis Gautherot for his help.

Arnaud
Ubuntu Media Center (UMC) Project Leader - https://launchpad.net/~umc-team