[Bluez-devel] [patch] spec: Update alsa namespace to include virtual device

Matthias Kretz kretz at kde.org
Thu Aug 23 11:56:18 PDT 2007

On Thursday 23 August 2007, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> when it comes to Bluetooth and other virtual devices with no real
> hardware as backend the world changes a bit. You really do have to
> change your way of thinking here since ALSA isn't the central place of
> information anymore. Actually ALSA has no clue whatsoever.
>
> The Bluetooth audio support is designed around a central audio daemon
> that takes care of mono headsets and high quality stereo headsets. This
> daemon does all needed protocol handling and can be controlled via
> D-Bus. Without this daemon you don't get any sound at all. This daemon
> however handles only the control part of the audio protocol. All the
> real audio data encoding and decoding is done in a plugin. Besides the
> currently existing ALSA plugin, we have plans for GStreamer and
> PulseAudio plugins.
>
> In case of the ALSA plugin you can use it to connect to the default
> headset or using a specific remote device address. This all works in the
> background and yes, if you get the hint listing right it would show up
> in applications that can list virtual devices. However the .asoundrc is
> user specific and not touched by the audio daemon. The daemon is a
> system process that can handle multiple headsets at one time which could
> be used by different users on the same system.
>
> So for the audio daemon, we don't know anything about the user and its
> settings and we actually don't care at all. We know that we have a
> configured device that can be used via the ALSA plugin with this
> specific Bluetooth address. That is what we know and that is what we
> will give to HAL. What the user does with this information is fully up
> to the user and not the daemons responsibility.
>
> This means whatever kind of hint system you have or don't have, it
> doesn't give us any advantage. Please remember that virtual sounds cards
> are totally dynamic. They come and go as they like. The daemon is fully
> integrated into the Bluetooth authorization framework and for example a
> headset can decide to connect back to your machine when you press its
> button and it becomes available and usable at exactly that point.
> The .asoundrc is to static for this. The only unique identifier that can
> be used to identify a Bluetooth headset is its address. The profile to
> use (mono or stereo) can be a second parameter, but the daemon can
> determine the best profile to use by itself.

Thanks a lot. I think I understand the issue a bit better now.

Questions:
- the entry in .asoundrc as documented on
http://wiki.bluez.org/wiki/HOWTO/AudioDevices#Alsaconfiguration is optional
- using the ALSA plugin a bluetooth audio device can always (when it's
connected and authorized) be accessed
using "bluetooth:<address>[,parameter]"?

If that is so, then I suggest to list a bluetooth device advertising its audio
capabilities (this possibly means to say what parameters are supported) and
its address. Then an application can construct the ALSA "device" string
itself or, if it has the support, use that information to talk with the
bluetooth device directly.

That would mean those devices don't show up as ALSA devices in HAL at all.

http://Vir.homelinux.org/
Matthias.Kretz at urz.uni-heidelberg.de