FreeBSD port of ConsoleKit

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at FreeBSD.org
Sat Aug 25 21:01:04 PDT 2007

We have a FreeBSD port of CK in a private git repository.  We will be
sending patches upstream soon.

I have a question, though, about the file monitor code.  The code in CK
that uses inotify seems very complex.  It's almost like a FAM-lite that
emits CK events instead of FAM events.  However, the only consumer of
this code is the TTY idle monitor.  I wanted to add kqueue support, but
it seems like a wasted effort since kqueue is not as functional as
inotify; adding the same level of support to CK would require much more
work.

Therefore, my question is, could the CK monitor code be simplified and
tailored just to do the file access stuff (i.e. will external consumers
of CK need this extensive monitoring capability, or can they just use
FAM on their own)?  Alternatively, could FAM (e.g. gamin) be used
instead of embedded code to do a similar task?  If we link with FAM, all
of the heavy lifting is done for us already.

Joe

--
Joe Marcus Clarke
FreeBSD GNOME Team      ::      gnome at FreeBSD.org