Is this a hal bug?

walt wa1ter at myrealbox.com
Wed Aug 29 16:54:16 PDT 2007

Hi list,

I'm having an annoying problem with hald_addon_storage (hal-0.5.9)
that I'd like your opinion on.

I have an older HP CD burner which is becoming flakey:  I'll be
listening to an audio CD when the CD player will suddenly go
schizo and be unable to continue reading -- I suspect overheating
because the CD case is very hot to the touch.

Anyway, when this happens hald_addon_storage starts consuming all
the available CPU cycles which brings the machine almost to a halt.
If I'm very patient I can eventually kill the hald_addon_storage
process and the machine returns to normal again.

Obviously, hal is not responsible for making the CD burner flakey,
but I do think hal could handle the problem more gracefully.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

BTW, I'm running gentoo linux with their most recent 2.6.22 kernel
on an ASUS A7V8X mobo.