Xorg Input Hotplugging

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Sat Dec 1 06:00:39 PST 2007

On Sat, Dec 01, 2007 at 10:49:42AM -0200, pcpa at mandriva.com.br wrote:
>   The main problem is that there isn't a mapping from hal devices
> to xorg.conf devices, and the hal code in the X Server, if hal is
> "properly configured", will load a new module to handle an input
> device that already have a module loaded for it, as listed in
> xorg.conf.

With evdev, this isn't a problem.  EVIOCGRAB means that even if you have
the 'mouse' driver on /dev/input/mice and evdev drivers on
/dev/input/eventN, you'll never get duplicate events.

For the mouse and kbd drivers, yes, this is an issue.

>   For example, if I change hal to use the mouse driver for my ps2
> mouse, and have an input device section in xorg.conf also using
> the mouse driver, I will get double clicks for every mouse click.

I'm not really sure why you'd do that, but yes, I do see the problem.  I
guess one solution is just to remove the keyboard and mouse fallbacks in
the HAL FDI, and only ever do drivers that we know don't intefere with
others.

> Simillar problems will happen with the keyboard, like arrow keys
> not working, in my case it was mapping to Print Screen, and calling
> ksnapshot when running kde.

That's just your XKB model being set wrong.  I know the underlying
infrastructure works, because I've tested with multiple keyboards having
different layouts, etc.

>   For the moment, I disabled hal support in the Mandriva X Server
> a few days ago as I got no reply to the bugzilla above, but hope
> to work again on it in the next days. I did not finish the patch
> because it may be required some guessing, or some detail I am
> missing :-) that would allow mapping hal devices to xorg.conf
> devices, and then, code in the server would notice it and load
> only one driver for the device.

The patch as it is is obviously extremely DDX-dependent, and thus breaks
KDrive and others horribly.  We already have NewInputDeviceRequest, so
handling it in the DDX would be utterly trivial.

Cheers,
Daniel