T61 sleep quirk confusion

Danny Kukawka danny.kukawka at web.de
Mon Dec 3 12:17:47 PST 2007

On Montag, 3. Dezember 2007, Jason Merrill wrote:
> So the current quirk file has just S3_MODE for one Intel model (6466)
> and one nvidia model (7663), and S3_BIOS/VBEMODE_RESTORE for two more
> Intel models (8895/6464) and one other nvidia model (6460).  And then a
> few other T61s (7658,7661) in the set up at the top, so they get
> S3_BIOS/S3_MODE.  And a bunch of other models aren't covered yet.
>
> Typically with other Thinkpad models we've needed one set of quirks for
> the Intel graphics, and another set of quirks for the ATI graphics; it
> seems unlikely to me that different Intel T61s would need different
> quirks.  And in the case of the T61 it seems that the same quirks will
> work for both nvidia and intel graphics, so I expect that
> s3_bios/vbemode_restore will work for all the Thinkpads currently
> covered by the lenovo file.  Patch attached to use them for all Thinkpad
> *60* and *61*.

I can say: this change wouldn't work. It would not only break the (most)
already added machines, but also many not already listed.

Please note: not all ThinkPad *{60,61}* work with s3_bios && vbemode_restore.
This isn't that simple as with the old IBM ThinkPads or may the earlier
Lenovo Thinkpads.

Whatever you want to change, it have to cover _all_ already added machines,
because they are reported working with the existing quirks. And this patch
don't do this. Btw. I would prefer to add only machines which are reported
instead of break unknown machines.

Danny