On recognizing music players in hal/hal-info

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Thu Dec 6 10:54:20 PST 2007

On Wed, 2007-11-14 at 19:11 +0100, Martin Pitt wrote:
> It seems to me that the current list of music players is hard to
> maintain, harder to get and keep right, and will always be behind the
> state of the art in stable releases. Maybe this should be replaced by
> a more heuristical approach, like checking whether the drive actually
> contains music, and (mostly) only music files?

Right. The desktop VFS or File Manager would do this, not HAL. FWIW, I
wanted to do this for gnome-vfs2 but the IPC architecture didn't really
allow updating the icon/title after creation due to limitations in how
gnome-vfs was implemented.

For gvfs this will be possible (am about to write the hal code for gvfs
later this week) so if all goes well this will work in GNOME 2.22.

     David