PolicyKit releases and !AWOL

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Sun Dec 16 19:46:09 PST 2007

On Sun, 2007-12-16 at 22:41 -0500, David Zeuthen wrote:
> > Actually its the other way around.
> > Think of backup programs, which now have to run as root to be able to
> > successfully create a backup, or intrusion detection systems, which
> > check the file checksums, which can't be run unpriviledged.
> > I hope I could give you some use cases, why it makes sense to make the
> > files world readable.

(btw, under Windows they have a Backup Operators group that is allowed
to read any file from any user. Unfortunately we're still stuck with the
somewhat limited UNIX permission model that means that we have to allow
any user to read critical system binaries even though they strictly
don't need to. Sigh.)

     David