Managing ACL's on device nodes

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Wed Feb 7 11:04:37 PST 2007

David Zeuthen (david at fubar.dk) said:
> > Device add was asynchronous before, but setting the perms on login
> > was synchronous.
>
> Before it was
>
>  kernel -> udev -> pam_console
>
> This proposal is
>
>  kernel -> udev -> hald -> hal-add-acl
>
> I don't see why this is suddenly async?

gdm/login -> pam -> pam_console -> sets perms -> pam returns ok-> finish.

gdm/login -> pam -> pam returns ok -> calls CK -> finish
                                           \
			                    -> hal -> sets perms

*Shrug*. As long as the delay is short enough, it shouldn't
be an issue; I just don't want the user's PA (or whatever) session
racing against the CK->hal->set perms process.

Bill