Managing ACL's on device nodes

Artem Kachitchkine Artem.Kachitchkin at Sun.COM
Wed Feb 7 11:20:42 PST 2007

> I think that's true yes. Do you envision this being a problem though?

I just described a scenario wherein this is a problem. I don't know how
likely this scenario is going to arise in the long run. Perhaps more
importantly, I'm trying all design decision to be spelled out explicitly
here on the mailing list, such that we can dig them up from the archives
in the future.

> Also, if you can share, I'm curious how permissions are currently
> handled on OpenSolaris.

Synchronously as part of login. /etc/logindevperm lists devices to be
chmod'ed and chown-ed to that of the system console. It is very similar
to pam_console. I can envision this changing in the foreseeable future
to better support multiseat environments, and it not unlikely that we
won't take advantage of the proposed permission setting capability in
HAL (I think it is useful in general though).

-Artem.