CK: more paranoia, idle status, and creation-time

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Mon Feb 19 11:14:46 PST 2007

On Mon, 2007-02-19 at 13:56 -0500, William Jon McCann wrote:
> Perhaps we need to be a little more obvious about this.  Maybe we
> should add the word "hint" in the property name or something like
> that.  For example, instead of ck_session_set_idle
> ck_session_set_idle_hint.

That'd be nice. I was thinking it might be useful with a method

 bool Manager.GetHintAllSessionsIdle()

and a signal

 Manager.HintAllSessionsIdleChanged (bool all_sessions_are_idle)

Clearly if no sessions are available the method returns FALSE.

I want to use this in HAL to change the polling frequency on removable
drives from 2 secs to, say, 30 secs iff all sessions on the system are
idle. Believe it or not, this thing comes up every time I'm at a
conference so I'd like to fix it :-)

Of course, this is already possible today given the recent idle status
stuff, but it requires hald-addon-storage, to track sessions, keep
scores and in general do a lot of IPC that is not needed if you have the
global interface. So I think this would be nice. I can write a patch
(unless you beat me to it!) for this if you want. Thoughts?

     David