HAL and INPUT

Danny Kukawka danny.kukawka at web.de
Mon Jul 9 04:43:57 PDT 2007

On Montag, 9. Juli 2007, Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 09, 2007 at 12:08:53PM +0200, ext Danny Kukawka wrote:
> > >
> > > Hopefully this can be as early as X.Org 7.3 (released next month).  I'm
> > > just finishing the patches up at the moment, but ITMT, here's the FDI
> > > I'm running with for your comments/amusement/derision.
> >
> > Is it a good idea to put keyboard layout information to HAL like in your
> > file:
> >
> >  <merge key="input.xkb_layout" type="string">us</merge>
> >
> > This would IMO make only sense if you really can detect the layout of the
> > hardware (is this possible?).
>
> It gives a sane default which can be overridden by local FDIs (populated
> either by the local admin, or, e.g. by choices made in the installer).
> Saves having the defaults in two places.

But isn't this something the user want to set, or is this independent from the
user settings? I'm unconvinced that it is a good idea to set this in a
fdi-file which force all to have this layout by default and which is not
changeable by the user (and edit a XML file is also not that funny).

IMO this key would make only sence if there is a way to detect if the keyboard
has really a US layout.

Danny