Keymap for Dell Latitude D630

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 01:32:54 PDT 2007

On Sun, 2007-07-15 at 10:43 +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> But withing Windows a "Choose a WLAN to connect to" app comes up if you
> press the "Wifi-Catcher". So if we want to have a similar behavior then
> we likely should open the "Choose you WLAN" from NetworkManager.
>
> But well, it's not that important, so we can likely ignore it for now.

Sure.

> BTW, I wondered about two other things while thinking about the whole
> stuff a bit more:
>
> * while testing this I noticed there is an Wifi-LED in that notebooks
> that's within windows is glowing if Wifi is enabled by the kill-switch;
> it's never glowing within Linux -- is that something hal and userspace
> should care about as well or should this be something the kernel should
> handle on its own?

Can you change the LED with the smbios-bin tools?

> * Is there any distinction in hal between events that are handled by
> hardware and those that need to be handled my software? E.g. I submitted
> my keymaps for my D630 including those for brightness adjustment. But
> the hardware handles those fine already (well, it stopps to work after
> ACPI-S3, but that's a different topic). So if some random userspace app
>  would starts to interpret these events in the future then both hard-
> and software would adjust the brightness when I hit the keys. That is
> likely not what we want afaics.

Yes, that's what we have with laptop_panel.brightness_in_hardware - a
quirk we can merge to tell stuff like g-p-m "don't change the
brightness, it's already been done in the hardware".

> It's afaics even more bad for sound; some notebooks (some Thinkpad like
> the T41 and the T60  for example and *IIRC*) have special buttons to
> adjust the sounds level. Those buttons send a key events and regulate a
> hardware mixer as well. This can lead to situations like this:

Yes, the hardware mixer we are intending to expose as an alsa mixer
rather than keypresses as it's a physical bit of hardware separate to
the soundcard.

> - joe after a minute or two tries to hit the "volume up" key again; now
> the hardware mixer is slowly tuning up and then finally there is a sound
> output

With two ALSA mixer devices we should get the OSD as normal, and stuff
like the mute icon should also work. I think this is the best way. There
is experimental code in the input-hotkeys branch of the ibm-acpi-2.6
kernel tree.

Richard.