possible bug - recognition of disc type in older cd burners

Ulrich Büchsel buechsel at web.de
Sun Jul 22 06:48:21 PDT 2007

Hello!

Some users as well as I seem to have a problem with hal not recognizing
the disc type inserted in the cd burner. This makes it impossible to
burn cd with most of the software which relies on hal.

There is a discussion thread in launchpad:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/hal/+bug/66254

There I suggested a possible solution, but I didn't get any reaction.
Therefore I wanted to post my idea here in the hope that I will get any
kind of reaction. In short I suppose that the malfunction occurs because
hal relies on the SCSI GET CONFIGURATION command in the function
get_disc_type in the source code file linux_dvd_rw_utils.c which is not
supported by older cd burners conforming to the MMC-1 spec. It could be
solved by inserting a fallback code which tries to infer the disc type
from the disc information "blank" and "erasable". Details can be seen in
my posting to the launchpad thread.

Any comments or suggestions to this?

Thanks in advance.