Support for old CD-RW drives

David Castelow david_castelow at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 31 12:20:52 PDT 2007

I noticed that nautilus-cd-burner was not working on a recent update of
Ubuntu.

There are a number of people complaining about the lack of support for old
cdrw drives out there (e.g. Ubuntu bugs 109763 and 66254).

(I am using Feisty, with the backport of HAL 0.5.9)

I have traced the error to the fact that in the old version of n-c-d
(2.14.3), if the call to HAL failed, it would determine the disc type using
an alternative method, but this has been removed in recent versions.

Rather than re-instate the functionality in n-c-d, I moved the changes into
HAL: would you consider accepting the attached patch that sorts this out.

I have built this into the Ubuntu package and it works ok for me, though not
fully tested as I haven't got a DVD that needs this feature.

David

Got a favourite clothes shop, bar or restaurant? Share your local knowledge
http://www.backofmyhand.com