Hal does not properly mount usb drives

Elizabeth Stowers elizabethstowers at mac.com
Thu Jul 26 14:06:30 PDT 2007

All,

I have the curious case where the haldaemon is not properly mounting
a usb drive.

Here is the situation. We found this by testing in our lab and the
mount always worked correctly.

We then moved the server and usb drive out onto the operations floor
and lo and behold it did not work properly. After much head
scratching and poring over my testing procedures I identified the
following issue:

If I am connected from a workstation to the server where I am trying
to automatically mount the usb drive over a KVM network - the usb
drive is mounted properly. But, if I telnet or ssh into the server
where I am trying to automatically mount the usb drive (i.e., not
using the KVM network) the usb drive is mounted as a directory on the
main disk and with incorrect permissions. In otherwords, in this case
the usb drive is not mounted correctly.

The only thing I could see is that from the workstation on the KVM
network I get the little usb drive icon displayed.

I need the usb drive to be properly mounted no matter what host or
what network I use to get to the server where the usb drive is
connected. The cable from the usb drive is pulled to be connected to
another host, data is moved onto the usb drive, and then the cable is
moved to my server.

To recap: If I am sitting on the KVM network everything is jake, in
all other cases it isn't.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jonathan Stowers
elizabethstowers at mac.com