[patches] Add dmi kernel class support into HAL

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Tue Jun 5 09:37:11 PDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-06-05 at 17:33 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:

> > > Okay, then what about just dropping these keys from HAL?
> >
> > No, I don't think that is reasonable.
>
> My point being, if we think they shouldn't be read by users then why are
> we exposing them in HAL?

That's the point; _I_ don't think it should be hidden from users nor
from programs that wants to key off system-specific data. Others,
however, think it should be hidden. And to that I ask: why don't we hide
disk, usb, firewire etc. serial numbers? And the answer is: it's bloody
useful information; just look at the /dev/disk/* tree for example.

      David