hal-info quirk patch for Acer TravelMate 380

osma ahvenlampi oa at iki.fi
Wed Jun 6 09:25:57 PDT 2007

To recap a bit of off-list discussion:

My previous homegrown suspend hack was a combination of FC6, i810
driver, fb consoles (and switch to one prior to suspend), s3-mode, vbe
post and vbestate restore. Doing all this provided both (fb) consoles
and working X11.

With F7 + xorg/intel + hal-info + pm-utils, --quirk-s3-mode is enough
to resume (save for some other kernel or Xorg bug that hangs the
system sometimes only), but only for X11. No combination of quirks
(all mentioned above plus some other tries, ~20 in total) has provided
me with a working text console post-resume. I have not tried fb
consoles under F7.

I hope this information is valuable to someone, but at the same time,
I know that the BIOS on this particular model is tricky, so applying
this to other systems may not be useful. The only further thing I can
afford to spend time on, and I don't know when that will be, is to
debug why does the resume sometimes hang. Probably has to do with
whether or not I originally booted with the mini-dock attached, but I
usually don't have the time at work to test this too much.

--
Osma Ahvenlampi   <oa at iki.fi>       http://www.fishpool.org