Don't set keymap if already set

Lennart Poettering mzuny at 0pointer.de
Fri Jun 8 08:17:08 PDT 2007

On Fri, 08.06.07 10:54, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh (hmh at hmh.eng.br) wrote:

> On Fri, 08 Jun 2007, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > Also, I don't see why Henrique wants to see this feature in the first
> > place? Is he afraid that HAL would break already properly set up
>
> I don't want anyone overriding a keymap set by the system
> administrator.

The kernel sets some default values. Then HAL comes, fixes the
them up --- and only after that the admin should install his own
fixes.

Even better the user should just install his own .fdi file and
specify his own mappings in there.

> Now, I didn't know about HAL working around bugs in the kernel (and it IS a
> bug in the kernel, if a key mapped by the kernel is not always right, it
> should be using KEY_UNKNOWN).  That would be a problem, yes.

I would not say that is is a bug in a kernel if some weird
laptop-specific key is mapped badly by default. The kernel should
adopt some basic ruleset that works in most caes, i.e. follows some
well-accepted standards, including the MS mm kbd scancodes. And that
is what the kernel does quite well right now.

If some weird laptop model likes to use scancode in a completely
non-standard way that is incompatible with everything else, that
shouldn't affect the standard kernel mapping in any way -- but should be
fixed up from userspace/HAL.

Let's say some stupid laptop vendor comes and decides to use the
scancode of the spacebar for something completely different, would you
then just go and patch the kernel to map this key to KEY_UNKNWON,
because this specific scancode now has two different meanings? I hope
not.

Lennart