hald and machine check exception errors

Alex Moore light_speed10 at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 18 10:29:25 PDT 2007

Hi, I see that you appear to be gentoo's maintainer for the hal package :)

I have been using both gentoo-sources and suspend2-sources. The exact list
of kernels I have tried, all of which exhibit the problem, are:

2.6.20-suspend2-r6
2.6.20-gentoo-r8
2.6.19-gentoo-r5

PnP is enabled in the kernel (presumably "CONFIG_PNP" and "CONFIG_PNPACPI"
are the ones of interest):

lightspeed at ferrari /usr/src/linux $ cat .config | grep PNP
# CONFIG_IP_PNP is not set
CONFIG_PNP=y
# CONFIG_PNP_DEBUG is not set
CONFIG_PNPACPI=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEPNP=y
CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_PNP=m

If it helps, I use genkernel for the kernel configuration, and make the
following changes from the defaults in menuconfig (I could attach the entire
config, but I thought this way it might more clearly highlight anything
unusual):

Processor type and features
        Processor family
                <X> Intel Core2 / newer Xeon
        Preemption Model
                <X> Voluntary Kernel Preemption (Desktop)
        Timer frequency
                <X> 300 HZ
Bus options (PCI etc.)
        < > Message Signaled Interrupts (MSI and MSI-X)
Device drivers
        Serial ATA (prod) and Parallel ATA (experimental) drivers
                <M> ATA device support
                <M> NVIDIA SATA support
                <M> Silicon Image SATA support
                <M> AMD/NVidia PATA support (Experimental)
        Network device support
                <M> Bonding driver support
        Hardware Monitoring support
                <M> Abit uGuru
        Virtualization
                <M> Kernel-base Virtual Machine (KVM) support
                <M> KVM for Intel processors support

Thanks,
Alex