working with pciutils-2.2.4

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Mon Jun 18 11:38:50 PDT 2007

On Sat, 2007-06-16 at 07:56 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> i looked through the history of the file (hald/ids.c) and going back to the
> pre-mmap commit and adding transparent support for reading a .gz file via
> zlib is trivial (since mmap obviously wont work), but i'd like to see what
> direction the code will actually go before spinning cycles on work that goes
> in a different direction and thus wont be accepted ;).

Right, TBH I don't really see any point in using a gzipped pci.ids file
at all; it's a trade-off where you trade disk space for dirty memory
usage and as such it doesn't make sense on neither embedded nor desktop
systems since you're much more interested in keeping memory use down on
both such systems vs. saving around 300-400k of disk space...

     David