HAL has implicit options for mount filesystems?

nerio at nerio.it nerio at nerio.it
Fri Jun 29 06:42:18 PDT 2007

hello everybody

I'm an engineer of information science and I work at Padua University as laboratory's technician.
I just prepared a CD Live of Fedora Core 6 for my students and I have the necessity of mounting
all fat32 and ntfs partition in read-write-execute mode for user fedora (uid 500).
I created an fdi file with right rules for this aim:

  <match key="volume.is_partition" bool="true">
      <merge key="storage.automount_enabled_hint" type="bool">true</merge>
      <merge key="storage.policy.should_mount" type="bool">true</merge>
      <merge key="storage.policy.mount_option.exec" type="bool">true</merge>
      <merge key="storage.policy.mount_option.rw" type="bool">true</merge>
      <merge key="volume.policy.mount_option.uid=500" type="bool">true</merge>
      <merge key="volume.ignore" type="bool">false</merge>
  </match>

I controlled with lshal the properties of all filesystems and they are OK, but when I mounted the
filesystems, hal did not passed these parameters to mount
but passed noexec,nodev,nosuid always. (I verified this by substituting /bin/mount with a shell-script)

I workarounded this problem by subtituting the string noexec in binary-file
/usr/libexec/hal-storage-mount with ",,,,,,,"
six commas and renaming /bin/mount with /bin/mount.orig, then I created a script /bin/mount that
calls the original mount (renammed)
with the parameters that I want.

Now my question:

is there a series of rules for configuring hal with my mount options or hal refuses insecureoptions
by default?

I'm working with

Fedora Core 6
kernel 2.6.20-1.2948.fc6