UWB Addon

Claudio Takahasi cktakahasi at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 13:01:48 PDT 2007

On 6/29/07, Marcel Holtmann <marcel at holtmann.org> wrote:
> Hi Claudio,
>
> > Here is the initial proposal for UWB Addon support. It is just the
> > skeleton, the D-Bus methods are not implemented yet.
> >
> > This patch requires the Addon singleton patchset.
> >
> > Comments/Suggestions?
>
> first of all, I think we need to separate it into two patches. One that
> populates the device paths with information from the kernel. Another one
> that contains the addon. Actually I think we should start developing the
> addon as a separate module. The UWB addon (as also a future addon for
> Bluetooth) might get quite big and can be developed faster in an outside
> tree.
>
> Besides that, we have to find some better naming. the name "Beacon"
> should not be used in a public API. The term beaconing is part of low
> level radio specification. Terms like visible or something similar are
> much better. We have to design the API methods with the application
> tasks in mind.
>
> Regards
>
> Marcel

Hi Marcel,

I agree. My intention was send the skeleton to provide a high level
view. Anyway, the addon can be not be integrated yet because the Addon
sigleton patchset is required.

I don't have experience on HAL, I expect validate the design first and
after that define the UWB API. Use the same/similar names used by
BlueZ sounds good. The path is another problem, path based on UDI is a
little unclear for the end users/developers. Instead of use UDI(eg:
/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_device_8086_c3b_UWB_if0_uwb_hci_14a5cd96c9)
we can try use a friendly path, but currently I don't how do that.

BR,
Claudio.