CK: more paranoia, idle status, and creation-time

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 13:37:13 PST 2007

On Tue, 2007-02-20 at 14:51 -0500, William Jon McCann wrote:
> Well I found some time today and put this together:
> http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=ConsoleKit.git;a=commit;h=eb9361c9b0b05c3bd51de7325c3327db79431fc9
>
> I decided to use the name GetSystemIdleHint because I think perhaps
> the name GetAllSessionsIdleHint is a little unclear when there are no
> sessions.  I'm not married to the name though.

Right, sorry for the delay, this mail got lost in the swamp.

So, should g-p-m look for the GetSystemIdleHint changed signal and base
that on it's system suspend decision?

And if so, where does system inhibit fit in?

In my ideal world (maybe cracktastic as David would say):

ConsoleKit manages system-wide Inhibit and UnInhibit actions.

Yes.

g-p-m is per session, and so stuff like yum run as root can't Inhibit
the system. And inhibiting the system via a session daemon breaks
horribly when you do fast user-switching.

So, given ConsoleKit is a daemon watching for activity on consoles, what
about adding a Inhibit interface to it and removing the interface from
g-p-m?

Richard.