s2both

Danny Kukawka danny.kukawka at web.de
Sun Mar 11 16:16:51 PDT 2007

On Sonntag, 11. März 2007, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-03-11 at 22:19 +0100, Holger Macht wrote:
> > IIRC, some years ago (APM time) some notebook vendor already
> > implemented
> > something like this. It was called something like "Readysafe" or the
> > like. But "safe suspend" sounds quite good to me to present to the
> > user.
>
> Yes, I think so too. I think "safe suspend" is sufficiently different
> from hibernate to warrant a different name.
>
> David, what do you say about adding power_management.can_safe_suspend,
> and also the method SafeSuspend() to the spec?

But this implied that normal suspend is not safe, but it is. I don't want
to start the discussion again, but IMO we should it simply name what it
is (suspend2both) and let the UI translate it to whatever the userspace
want (maybe 'Safe suspend' in GPM, 'Suspend To Both' in KPowersave and
something complete different in an other tool).

Danny