net.interface_up and unimplemented net.80203 properties (linux)

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Mon Mar 12 01:44:32 PDT 2007

On Sun, 2007-03-11 at 19:05 -0700, Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> Last I checked (NetworkManager 0.6.4), NM couldn't even be built
> without GNOME being present.  My understanding is that HAL is intended
> to be cross-desktop: what about Xfce users? KDE users?

NM is also intended to be cross-desktop, and 0.6.4 can be built without
Gnome support by passing --without-gnome. With this, you get the daemon
only, no UI - obviously useful for KDE users who use KNetworkManager
instead of the Gnome nm-applet.

No Gtk-only equivalent exists at the moment (to my knowledge, at least),
but but writing your own would surely be a better idea than trying to
re-implement the current functionality already provided by NM...

Note - I'm not one of the NM developers, just a user who follows
development fairly closely. The NM mailing list is a pretty good place
for getting questions answered though...

Simon.