s2both

Danny Kukawka danny.kukawka at web.de
Mon Mar 12 14:46:22 PDT 2007

On Montag, 12. März 2007, David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-03-12 at 21:42 +0100, Danny Kukawka wrote:
[...]
> > Do they? KPowersave for example depend on *.can_* property == TRUE &&
> > org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.SystemPowerManagement.method_names contain the
> > needed entry
>
> Relying on HAL internals (the latter) like that probably isn't good.

Why? Where is the difference if I use DBus introspection or check the keys
directly? I need to do one of both (because I don't need to show the user
the option to suspend if the interface is not there) and check HAL the
simplest way.

> > Maybe we need a new key for the info that the underlaying tools really
> > allow (e.g. if s2ram know that the machine is suspendable).
>
> Why would we need a new key? The .can_* properties can be used for this
> and frankly, their current definition (is the kernel able to suspend
> etc.) aren't really that interesting. What applications want to know is
> simply whether the machine can be suspended/hibernated or not.

But they maybe want know if you could suspend in general (e.g. by echo mem
to /sys/power/state) and if you can really suspend.

Danny