kernel 2.6.20.4 + hal 0.5.8.1 = help me!

Logan Rathbone rathbonel at phoenuxos.com
Sat Mar 24 01:46:35 PDT 2007

Hello, HAL devels and followers of the hal ml.

I'd been running linux 2.6.18 for a while, along with my trusty hal
0.5.8.1, and figured it was time for a kernel update.  So I downloaded
the sources from kernel.org, applied the Con Kolivas patches, yada yada
yada, configged & built the new kernel.

Works fine, except I'm getting problems getting some of the metadata of
my USB devices properly detected from HAL.  This is in turn causing
incorrect icons to be displayed for devices in kde's mediamanager.

I'm 99% sure this is because of the sysfs changes that have been made in
this rendition of the kernel (would it be possible for them to go *one*
month without breaking userspace?  anyway, I digress), but am unsure
about what my course of action should be.  I want to use 2.6.20.4.  Do I
need HAL CVS (OK fine, "git" or whatever yalls are on now... you know
what I mean)?  I've set CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED=y in my .config for the
kernel.

Any help appreciated.  Please forgive my dry "sense of humour" -- it's
4:43 am here ;)
--Logan

PS:  a diff of the lshal outputs from 2.6.18 -> 2.6.20.4 is attached.

Thanks!!