Is it possible to create a "fake/virtual" UDI which HAL can manipulate ?

Danny Kukawka danny.kukawka at web.de
Tue Mar 27 03:42:14 PDT 2007

On Dienstag, 27. März 2007, YangKun wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Can someone tell me if it's possible to create a "fake/virtual" UDI in
> the system ?
> If it's possible, I want to create something like :
> udi = '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/fake_nic'
>  linux.subsystem = 'net'  (string)
>  net.address = '00:00:00:00:00:ff'  (string)
>  net.interface = 'fake_eth0'  (string)
>  linux.sysfs_path = '/sys/class/net/fake_eth0'  (string)
>
> I can use "hal-set-property" to create <key>/<value> pairs for a
> specific UDI. But I don't know how to create an UDI entry.  Can someone
> give me some guidance ?

There is no tool to do this (but you can do this IIRC via libhal or via
FDI-files). The question is: why do you need this? If there is a entry in
sysfs why not let HAL detect the device instead of add a fake device? What is
the reason/for what do you need this device/ is there really something in
sysfs?

Danny