portable_audio_player.type,access_method

Danny Kukawka danny.kukawka at web.de
Wed May 2 03:33:59 PDT 2007

On Mittwoch, 2. Mai 2007, David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-05-01 at 11:05 -0400, Jeff Mitchell wrote:
> > The 10-usb-music-players.fdi file has for each device a
> > portable_audio_player.access_method key which is defined in the spec as
> > mandatory, as well as portable_audio_player.type key that isn't in the
> > spec at all.  Both are defined as strings.
>
> Yeah, it seems
>
>  portable_audio_player.type
>
> right now can assume these values
>
>  ipod
   --> this is a iPod or a device with iTunes capability (as e.g. some
       Motorola v3 mobile phones)
>  psp
   --> this is a PSP (not shure what this imply)
>  generic
   --> this mean you can have a normal USB mp3 player, nothing special
       about the access method

> and it looks like libnjb [1] can also set it to
>
>  njb

Here we have maybe the problem (same with mtp etc.). Currently we set generic
also for several devices where portable_audio_player.access_method=user. I
think we need to discuss the possible values for this property.

IMO we should only allow the 3 keys above (maybe plus mobile to differ between
mp3 player and mobile phones with mp3 play capablility). Everything other as
e.g. njb/mtp should maybe better go into
portable_audio_player.access_method.* properties as proposed in my other
mail, since this info is not about the type of player, but about the access
method. For the type it should not matter how to access the device.

Btw. This maybe need some changes in Rhythmbox/Banshee. Maybe Aaron Bockover
can tell more how the keys are currently used.

> Probably it would be good to some definition of it to the spec. Maybe
> searching the mailing list will help clarify this? Because I can't
> remember on the top of my head. Or grepping through Rhythmbox, Banshee
> will tell? Or maybe Danny, who does most of the music player fdi files
> merging, knows? Danny?

Danny