portable_audio_player.type,access_method

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Wed May 2 20:07:42 PDT 2007

Hi,

So, as some sort of conclusion, I think we should have

 portable_audio_player.type (optional, string)

that can assume a set of well-defined values in the spec. This allows to
do stuff like choosing an appropriate icon, name etc. for the device. We
can merge this from a number of places

 - hal-info
 - 3rd party fdi files

and while these can overwrite each other that would be a bug we'd have
to work out offline. It's mostly just a hint _anyway_.

Also, we introduce

 portable_audio_players.driver_support (strlist, optional)

that 3rd party fdi files can set. We should keep a list of known values
in the spec too. There's no chance of overwriting here since it's a
string list. We should put text in the spec that apps like Banshee,
Rhytmbox, Amarok and friends interpret this as what user space driver
library to use.

How about that? Would this work for everyone?

     David