portable_audio_player.type,access_method

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Wed May 2 21:35:50 PDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-05-03 at 00:20 -0400, Jeff Mitchell wrote:
> Instead of driver_support, I'd rather see two keys, like how Danny
> proposed: drivers and protocols.  Many apps don't need to know which
> drivers a device use, only which protocol it talks (and then it figures
> out what handler it wants to use).  But likewise there are reasons for
> listing the drivers as well.
>
> But if there's only a driver_support key, I'd recommend that, at least
> informally, each driver should include a [drivername].protocol key that
> specifies what protocol it speaks.  And probably a [drivername].name
> that has a user-friendly device name -- never underestimate the power of
> the right name to make a user feel at ease  :-)

I think we mean the same thing. I guess what I wanted to achieve was
simplicity; e.g. app authors for e.g. Banshee does not care about
protocols at all; they just care what library to use to transfer a file
to the device right? That's my guess but then again, I don't write apps.

So I guess I'm just confused by all the prose mail. Maybe if you and/or
Danny could post a more formal definition of what properties to
add/remove/change (preferably as diff to the spec) it would be more
clear? Thanks!

     David