Patch: remove incorrect vbestate_restore quirk for some laptops

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Thu May 3 10:40:35 PDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-05-03 at 12:29 +0200, Frederic Crozat wrote:
> I just tested one of the laptops. And you were right, restoring for
> framebuffer is broken if vbestate_restore is not used.

It's always been problematic if both X and framebuffer drivers are used
to drive the video card... you possibly have the resume path in the fb
kernel driver and the resume path in pm-utils invoking vbetool etc.
stepping on each others toes. There are other problems too with this
that are not related to suspend/resume.

That's also why we don't use framebuffer drivers at all in Fedora for
machines that support vgacon (e.g. PC style hardware). Fedora's
"graphical boot" is using X. For better or worse.

The right way to solve this long term is to get mode setting into the
kernel, something which people are working on. When we have that, we can
delete all the quirks as the mode setting driver will simply do the
right thing on suspend/resume. This is a few years away though (for
getting all graphics drivers to do this).

But as your latest quirks works on both we don't need to address this
problem I suppose. If it becomes a problem I don't think the solution is
to throw quirks at the problem (it's already complex enough); I think
the solution is to just don't use the framebuffer drivers for that
device then... which is a point of contention for, shall we say,
not-so-conservative distributions using fb drivers for graphical boot...
many people, at least the X people I've been talking to... will tell you
that's a broken approach already. Many users and distro developers will
tell you it's not broken and even tell you that Fedora's graphical boot
is so 1990's (it is, but that's besides the point).

Ugh.. Hope I didn't start a flamewar here... I'm just trying to clarify
that mixing fb and X drivers is problematic. Let's go continue
collecting quirks and make hal-info make more laptops work.

      David