Patch: remove incorrect vbestate_restore quirk for some laptops

Danny Kukawka danny.kukawka at web.de
Thu May 3 14:24:18 PDT 2007

On Donnerstag, 3. Mai 2007, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-05-03 at 13:40 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> > Ugh.. Hope I didn't start a flamewar here... I'm just trying to
> > clarify
> > that mixing fb and X drivers is problematic. Let's go continue
> > collecting quirks and make hal-info make more laptops work.
>
> Attached is a patch that removes all the UNSURE (i.e. not tested in
> s2ram) entries from hal-info. The last thing we want to do is break
> setups that already work, so I think this is the safest way to go
> forward.

No, this is not the way s2ram handle the unsure entries. s2ram print only a
warning as I understand the code:

if (flags & UNSURE)
        printf("Machine is in the whitelist but perhaps using "
               "vbetool unnecessarily.\n"

Only because they are marked as unsure does not mean that they don't work
correct. They are already since a while and there are user which use s2ram on
such machines and it work. Maybe the problem is that we should find a way to
force the user to report that they work to be able to remove the unsure tag.
I would let the quirks in and wait for reports that it don't work instead of
upset them with no longer working setups.

Danny