[patch] add keymap data to make random laptop vendor keys work

Bastien Nocera hadess at hadess.net
Thu May 3 15:58:45 PDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-05-03 at 23:53 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-05-03 at 23:40 +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:
<snip>
> > Could we at least have the xml file pre-processed? I really don't want
> > to have to clean up after somebody made a typo.
>
> You could use that argument for *any* of data in the fdi files. There's
> also not much processing done - the user gets the message in dmesg, and
> then chooses the correct key, we check it and then commit it.

It's not nice having to check the keycode against something in a file
each time. I'm sure someone could write a little script in Perl that
would do that for us.

<snip>
> > Isn't it possible to avoid calling setkeycodes, and including the code
> > directly in the addon?
>
> Hmm. Perhaps. I didn't want to duplicate the code, but it may be sane in
> this case. Do you know how many LOC this would be?

Look for setkeycodes.c in Google, it says about 50 lines. Makes a lot of
sense to duplicate it :)

> > Finally, before everybody goes bananas at adding keys, there's a big fat
> > warning in setkeycodes:
> > BUGS
> >        The keycodes of X have nothing to do with those of Linux.
> > Unusual keys can be made visible under Linux, but not under X.
>
> Sure, this assumes the keys are mapped. I don't see this as a big
> problem.

Well, that means that it would kill the idea David had of having a
graphical application to do it.

--
Bastien Nocera <hadess at hadess.net>