hal-device-manager interference

William S Fulton wsf at fultondesigns.co.uk
Tue May 8 13:49:25 PDT 2007

Before I log a bug, I thought I'd check that what I am seeing isn't
wrong user expectation or user error.

I have a mobile phone and when plugged it is recognised as a mass
storage device and gets mounted in two different places: /media/PHONE
and /media/PHONE CARD.

When hal-device-manager is running it affects what keys and values get
merged in from this file:

/usr/share/hal/fdi/information/20thirdparty/phone.fdi:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<deviceinfo version="0.2">
  <device>
    <match key="info.bus" contains="usb">
      <!-- Sony Ericsson -->
      <match key="usb.vendor_id" int="0xfce">
        <!-- K800i mobile phone -->
        <match key="usb.product_id" int="0xe039">
          <append key="info.capabilities"
type="strlist">portable_audio_player</append>
          <merge key="info.category"
type="string">portable_audio_player</merge>
          <merge key="portable_audio_player.type"
type="string">generic</merge>
          <merge key="portable_audio_player.access_method"
type="string">storage</merge>
          <append key="portable_audio_player.output_formats"
type="strlist">audio/x-wav</append>
          <append key="portable_audio_player.output_formats"
type="strlist">audio/mpeg</append>
          <append key="portable_audio_player.input_formats"
type="strlist">audio/mpeg</append>
          <append key="portable_audio_player.audio_folders"
type="strlist">Music/</append>
        </match>
      </match>

    </match>
  </device>
</deviceinfo>

If running hal-device-manager *after* the hardware is plugged in, the
device can be viewed under Computer:

- Computer
 - VT82xxxxx UHCI UBS 1.1 Controller
  - Memory Stick
   - USB Mass Storage Device
    - SCSI Host Adapter
     - SCSI Device
      - Memory Stick
        - PHONE
      - SCSI Generic Interface
   - USB Mass Storage Device
    - SCSI Host Adapter
     - SCSI Device
      - Memory Stick
        - PHONE CARD
      - SCSI Generic Interface

and the keys in the .fdi file appear and all is well.

With hal-device-manager running *when* the hardware device is plugged
in, the device appears differently under Computer and in addition there
are two entries at the same level as Computer. The tree contains:

- Computer
 - VT82xxxxx UHCI UBS 1.1 Controller
  - Memory Stick
   - USB Raw Device Access
- USB Mass Storage Device
 - SCSI Host Adapter
  - SCSI Device
   - Memory Stick
     - PHONE
   - SCSI Generic Interface
- USB Mass Storage Device
 - SCSI Host Adapter
  - SCSI Device
   - Memory Stick
     - PHONE CARD
   - SCSI Generic Interface

None of the child nodes have the keys merged in from the .fdi file.

This is repeatable. I close hal-device-manager down before ejecting the
hardware each time.

Surely hal-device-manager running shouldn't affect the merging of these
keys?

I'm using hal version 0.5.7 on Ubuntu 6.06.

William