LED devices

Danny Kukawka danny.kukawka at web.de
Wed May 30 06:28:22 PDT 2007

On Mittwoch, 30. Mai 2007, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-05-30 at 13:55 +0100, Richard Purdie wrote:
> > > What's the big problem having names such as "thinklight" and then
> > > another attribute of "color"?
> >
> > Each attribute uses memory for the sysfs entry and code for the access
> > functions. The value will never change. Exporting the information as
> > part of the device name seemed like a neat solution.
>
> NO! This is not what sysfs was designed for. In that logic:
>
> /sys/battery/batt1:lion:rechargeable:sanyo:14400
> /sys/battery/batt1::rechargeable::11000
>
> Would be a valid devices.

Don't be silly ;-)

> This means _nothing_ to userspace.

It mean something to the userspace if this is defined in the Documentation (as
it currently is). I would also like to see extra attributes in sysfs for
this, but we don't die if the led subsystem use the current naming (and on
embeded devices it may make sense to save "a few bytes").

Danny