Proposal: adding a storage.disable_media_check for strange devices

Frederic Crozat fcrozat at mandriva.com
Wed May 30 06:33:01 PDT 2007

Le mercredi 23 mai 2007 à 13:31 -0400, David Zeuthen a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> Sorry for the lag; been traveling,
>
> On Fri, 2007-05-11 at 15:41 +0200, Frederic Crozat wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > among the various patches in mandriva package for hal, I have one to
> > deal with some usb keys we have here which doesn't support getting
> > polled at all, causing a lot of kernel error in syslog. Moreover, there
> > isn't really a need to poll these kind of usb devices, since kernel
> > events will notify when it is unplugged from the system.
> >
> > I have some kind of ugly patch (attached) which disable polling for
> > those devices after initial fs detection but it is only effective once
> > usb key is mounted.
> >
> > What do you think of adding a storage.disable_media_check (or maybe
> > disable_polling) property to have this kind of device ?
>
> Wouldn't it work with just an fdi file that sets storage.removable to
> FALSE?

Just tried, it didn't work.

But it works when disabling storage.media_check_enabled.

I've attached a patch for hal-info for two keys we have with this
problem.

I'm wondering if polling is useful at all on usb sticks. But maybe we
are forced to use it since we can't distinguish them from cards reader
or floppy usb drive.

> Also, have you tried with the ub driver? Might help us single out
> whether it's a bug with the usb-storage driver...

Unfortunately, I don't have kernel with ub around. But if I find a spare
machine, I'll install FC6 to test :)

--
Frederic Crozat <fcrozat at mandriva.com>
Mandriva