Logitech mouse specifics handling

Nicolas Trangez eikke at eikke.com
Thu May 31 11:15:20 PDT 2007

Hija,

as one of the SoC'07 students of the GNOME project, I'll be working on
HID device handling in our desktop environment. One part of this is
related to the X server (on-line addition of devices to the server),
another inside the desktop, but obviously HAL will have an important
role too.

One thing I'd like to handle is Logitech-specific mouse functions.
Currently some other projects already provide these features (eg
resolution setting), both Lomoco[1] and KDE[2].
Adding this feature in the GNOME desktop too would imply more
code/functionality duplication, including device/capability maps etc.

So, I'd propose to add this functionality inside HAL (somewhat like the
screen brightness functionality, etc).
The way I see this:
- Add a new device capability, input.mouse.logitech
- On devices with this capability, add these properties and methods:
	* int BatteryLevel
	* int[] SupportedResolutions
	* int Resolution
	* bool DualChannelSupported
	* int Channel
	* setResolution(int)
	* setChannel(int)

This API is just a sample, obviously, and should follow the HAL
standards. Device-specific capabilities which can't be queried from the
mouse itself could be stored in FDI files.

Next to this, info.product/input.product could become a more specific
string too (although this might be handled in some other place, I'm not
very familiar with the low-level input stack yet), FDI based.

Any ideas on this? Or should this not be handled in HAL at all?

Thanks,

Nicolas

[1] http://lomoco.linux-gamers.net/
[2] Couldn't find the file in KDE's websvn, see
kcontrol/input/logitechmouse* in your local kdebase tarball