On recognizing music players in hal/hal-info

Martin Pitt martin at piware.de
Wed Nov 14 15:07:08 PST 2007

Hi,

Danny Kukawka [2007-11-14 19:20 +0100]:
> On Mittwoch, 14. November 2007, Martin Pitt wrote:
> > It seems to me that the current list of music players is hard to
> > maintain, harder to get and keep right, and will always be behind the
> > state of the art in stable releases. Maybe this should be replaced by
> > a more heuristical approach, like checking whether the drive actually
> > contains music, and (mostly) only music files?
>
> I don't think this would work, because then any USB stick of USB-HD would get
> detected as musicplayer because there are mp3 files.

If the volume only contains MP3 files, then I guess opening the music
player on it might not be considered totally wrong, but yeah, it just
errs on the other side then.

> And this say also not if the device can play or record any music.

Hm, good point. This piece of information is not really relevant for
juggling and playing the music on the device on your PC, but it is
certainly important for other tasks.

So what do you think about reverting the particular FDI for the Feiya
bar?

Thanks,

Martin

--