[hal-info] Dell laptops control brightness in hardware

Danny Kukawka danny.kukawka at web.de
Thu Nov 15 12:28:22 PST 2007

On Donnerstag, 15. November 2007, Rui Tiago Matos wrote:
> 1. the dcdbas module has got to be loaded before hal starts so that
> the dell addon is loaded by hal.

This is no longer needed with these:
*
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=43cc71eed1250755986da4c0f9898f9a635cb3bf
* http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/hal/2007-November/009926.html
* http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/hal/2007-November/009896.html
* http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/hal/2007-November/009897.html

> 3. what doesn't work right (see [2]) is notification from the hardware
> (or BIOS?) --> hal when one uses the keys.

And this is why you need "brightness_in_hardware=true" to tell the userspace
software to not react on these keyevents because the brightness get set
directly by the keys in the hardware. Currently it isn't a problem since you
don't get these events.

The question is: do we really need the events get send to HAL if the change is
done in hardware?

Danny